6 of a family suffer burns in N’ganj fire sparked by gas leak

77

Narayanganj, Feb 17: Six members of a family suffered burns after a fire was sparked by gas leak in their house in Sahebapara of Siddhirganj upazila on Monday morning.The injured are – Nurjahan Begum, 70, her sons Kiron Miah, 50, and Hiron Miah, 30, Hiron’s wife Mukta, 28, and Kiron’s sons Emon, 23, and Apan, 12. They live on the ground floor of a five-storey building.

Among the injured, Nurjahan and Kiron suffered 70 percent burns.

Mohammad Shahjahan, senior station officer of Adamjee Fire Service, said gas accumulated in their flat as the gas burner had remained open all night. The fire started when the burner was ignited in the morning.

On information, a fire fighting unit rushed the spot and extinguished the fire.

The injured were taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.