Buet students end movement, decide to go back to classes


Dhaka, December 04: Calling off their movement, students of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) on Wednesday announced to return to classes as their three-point demand, including the expulsion of the killers of Abrar Fahad, was met.“The university authorities have accepted our three-point demand within the stipulated time and so, we’re ending our movement,” Mahmudur Rahman Sayem, a 15th batch student of Buet’s Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) department, said at a press conference on the campus.

The Buet students had been on a movement for two months after their fellow Abrar was murdered by some leaders of Bangladesh Chhatra League at Sher-e-Bangla Hall.

On October 15, the Buet students withdrew their campus protests as the university authorities accepted most of their demands. But they announced to boycott all the academic activities until the killers were expelled from the university and law enforcers submit the charge-sheet in the Abrar Fahad murder case.

On November 21, the Buet authorities expelled 26 of its students, mostly leaders and activists of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL), over the killing of Abrar Fahad.

Earlier on November 13, the Detective Branch (DB) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) pressed charges against 25 people in the Buet student killing case.

In a written statement, Sayem said the Buet authorities issued a notice on Monday night announcing permanent expulsion as maximum punishment for ragging and student politics on the campus.

Through this, all three demands of the students were fulfilled, he said, adding that there is a plan to make a commitment at the university’s Code of Conduct before enrolling new students.

“We want that the trial proceedings of the Abrar Fahad murder case run fairly and expeditiously.  We hope that the court will take the matter with utmost importance and fulfill the expectations of the entire nation,” Sayem added.

Abrar, a second-year student of Electrical and Electronic Engineering department, was beaten to death by a group of Chattra League men at the university’s Sher-e-Bangla Hall on the intervening night of October 6 and October 7.