International desk, April 08: A section of the Pakistani Prime Minister’s Secretariat caught fire here on Monday leading to the evacuation of the staff in the building, officials said.Prime Minister Imran Khan was reportedly one floor below in a meeting with incoming United States Central Command chief General Kenneth F. McKenzie when the fire broke out, according to the Express Tribune.
A fire erupted in a bathroom on the third floor of the Prime Minister Secretariat on Monday, a spokesperson said.
“Fire broke out owing to a short-circuit in one specific area of the PM Secretariat,” a PM House spokesperson said. The fire was brought under control owing to the timely response of fire brigades and the fire extinguishing equipment available at the PM House, the spokesperson added.
All PM House staff members remained safe during the fire, the spokesperson stated. The PM Office was evacuated following the fire.
Prime Minister Imran Khan was holding a meeting inside the building when the fire erupted.
The premier continued his meeting despite reports of the fire, according to sources. However, when PM Imran was informed again about the fire, he said that first the staff be evacuated and then he will leave, sources added.
Source: News Agencies