Gas cylinder blast causes Chawkbazar fire: Minister


Dhaka, Feb 21: Industries Minister Nurul Majid Mahmud Humayun on Thursday said the Chawkbazar fire originated from a gas cylinder blast.He came up with the remarks while talking to reporters at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) after visiting the injured during the fire incident.

The minister said Wahed Mansion, a four-storey building which caught the fire first, housed a hotel while there was a vehicle with gas cylinders for delivering those to households. “The explosion took place from any of them.”

He assured that they will take necessary steps without wasting any time to shift the chemical warehouses from the area very soon.

The death toll rose to 70 in a fire that broke out at a chemical warehouse in Chawkbazar area of Old Dhaka on Wednesday night. Besides, 41 people were also injured in the tragic incident.