Chattogram, Jan 18: The fire which broke out at warehouses in a closed jute mill in the city’s Pahartali area on Friday afternoon could not be doused even in six hours.Deputy assistant director of Chattogram Fire Service and Civil Defence M Jasim Uddin said the fire originated at a warehouse at Victoria Jute Mills, which was earlier shut down, around 5pm and spread to nearby ones.
Sources said eight companies, including RFL, Unilever and Unitex, established warehouses after hiring the vacant spaces of Ispahni Group-owned Victoria Jute Mills.
Quoting witnesses, local councillor of Chittagong City Corporation (CCC) Nesar
Ahmed Manju said the fire originated at the RFL godown and spread to others.
Jasim said they suspected that the fire ensued from an electric short circuit.
On information, firefighters with 15 vehicles rushed in and they were trying to douse the flame, he said from the spot. “We’re trying to control the fire. Our members and locals are working.”