Two more testify in Kibria murder case

502

Sylhet, Nov 5: Two more witnesses made their deposition before a tribunal court at Sylhet on Thursday in the ex-Finance Minister SAMS Kibria murder case.

Sylhet Divisional Speedy Trial Tribunal Judge Makbul Hossain recorded the statements of Abdur Rauf and Erfan Ali, said Kishore Kumar Kar, Public prosecutor (PP) of the tribunal.

After the day’s proceedings, the court fixed November 11 and 12 for recording the deposition of other witnesses.

A total of 13 accused, including former state minister for home affairs Lutfozzaman Babar, Habiganj municipality’s suspended mayor GK Gaus, out of 14, appeared before the court today while suspended Sylhet City Corporation mayor Ariful Haque Chowdhury’s lawyer was present at the court on the behalf of him as Ariful is undergoing treatment in Dhaka.

Six witnesses out of total 171 have so far made their deposition before the court in the murder case, Kishore Kumar Kar said.

On September 13, a Sylhet court indicted 32 people, including former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar and suspended Sylhet City Corporation (SCC) mayor Ariful Haque, in the sensational murder case.

Earlier, the charge framing hearing in the sensational case was deferred for nine times.

Five people, including Kibria, were killed and 70 others injured in a grenade attack on a public rally of local Awami League at Baidder Bazar in Sadar upazila on January 27, 2005.

Awami League leader Abdul Mazid Khan filed two cases — one for murder and another under the Explosives Substances Act — with the Habiganj Police Station the following day.

Kibria murder case was transferred to the Speedy Trial Tribunal from Habiganj Chief Judicial Magistrate Court on June 11 for its quick disposal.

Earlier, assistant Superintendent of CID Munshi Atique submitted a charge sheet against 10 BNP leaders and activists on March 19, 2005.