Police finally rescue woman forced to live in isolation


Gopalganj, April 27: Police have finally rescued a female health worker who was forced to live in isolation at a thatched hut built by a pond all alone for the last one week after her return from Dhaka.The incident took place at Lakhanda village under Sadullapur union of Kotalipara upazila.

Police came in her rescue after the incident went viral on social networking site Facebook which triggered a huge outcry.

The health worker, 21, used to work at a private hospital in the capital. Hospital authorities granted her leave due to the coronavirus outbreak and she came to her village.

But as the news of her arrival spread around, locals forced her to live in the hut constructed on the bank of a pond, 400 metres away from her home, with palm leaves reportedly at the order of organising secretary of Sadullapur union unit Awami League Proshanta Baroi.

The health worker had to live at the thatched hut for the last seven days round the clock all alone.

Sheikh Lutfur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Kotalipara Police Station, said police rescued the health worker on Monday and handed her over to her family.

Necessary action will be taken against those involved in the incident, he said.

Talking to UNB, the victim said, “I was forced to live here for the last one week amid rain and sunlight. As a health worker, I’ve provided health services to many but my health is now under threat. I don’t know how people can be so brutal.”

The victim’s mother said, “My husband passed away and now my daughter is the only earning member of my family. Even she is unmarried. If anything goes wrong with my daughter, who will take the responsibility?”

She also sought local administration’s intervention in this regard.

Contacted, AL leader Proshanta Baroi said the female health worker was kept at the thatched house with the consent of all locals.

Sushanta Boidya, upazila health officer of Kotalipara, said the family of the health worker had informed him of her arrival when he had suggested that she remained in a separate room. “But I have no idea that locals kept her in an isolated hut near a pond.”

Kotalipara Upazila Nirbahi Officer SM Mahfuzur Rahman described the incident as unfortunate, saying he would have sent her on institutional quarantine had locals informed her of her arrival.

He also said he would take step to send the female health worker to a quarantine centre.