Themorningbellbd.com desk, April 17: US Vice-President Mike Pence has said his country’s “era of strategic patience” with North Korea is over.
His visit comes amid escalated tensions on the peninsula, with heated rhetoric from both North Korea and the US.
He arrived in Seoul on Sunday hours after North Korea carried out a failed missile launch.
On Monday, the US and South Korea launched a joint air force military exercise to ensure readiness against North Korea, according to South Korean media.
Speaking alongside South Korea’s acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn later, he said North Korea had conducted nuclear and missile tests as the previous US administration had observed a policy of “strategic patience”, but this was now over.
“Just in the past two weeks, the world witnessed the strength and resolve of our new president in actions taken in Syria and Afghanistan,” Mr Pence said.
“North Korea would do well not to test his resolve or the strength of the armed forces of the United States in this region.”
He reiterated US support for South Korea, telling his host: “We are with you 100%.”
The US vice-president said he was disappointed that China had taken retaliatory actions against South Korea in response to the move.
Mr Pence’s latest comments echoed those made by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who warned that pre-emptive military action was “on the table” when he visited the DMZ last month.
Mr Pence earlier went to Camp Bonifas, a United Nations military compound near the DMZ.
Mr Pence is visiting South Korea, Japan, Indonesia and Australia on a 10-day Asia tour.