Themorningbellbd.com desk, April 29: The Malaysian Government will announce a decision on the intake of foreign workers soon, local media reports.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the Government had given due consideration to the complaints and proposals by various stakeholders.
“I am very concerned about the issue of foreign workers, and I am aware that many sectors are affected,” he said.
“Employers are urging the Government to open our doors to more foreign workers again.
“The Government is listening, and there will be an important announcement on this matter in due course,” he said at the Malaysia Retail Chain Association (MRCA) 2016 – 2018 Council installation night Thursday.
Bangladesh, with 600,000 of its nationals working in many parts of the country, is listed as one of the source countries from which Malaysia recruits manpower.
The South-East Asian nation, after a long pause, resumed hiring manpower from Bangladesh in 2013, but only under government-to-government arrangements.
The memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed on Feb 18 meant Bangladeshi workers, who had been limited to just working in plantations under that agreement, could get jobs in service, construction, farming and manufacturing sectors.
Dr Ahmad Zahid assured that the Government was always open to suggestions and proposals on the matter, especially from business communities.
He also said he had received complaints from a few non-governmental organisations (NGOs) on the issue.
“I don’t intend to blame them, but I reckon they have to be responsible for their suggestion that foreign workers not be hired, but to rehire illegal workers and local workers in their stead,” he said.