Hotel owner arrested in Kushtia for ‘harassing’ foreign journalist


Kushtia, March 13: Police on Monday arrested owner of ‘Kheya Hotel’ Biswanath Saha Bishu for allegedly harassing a foreign female photojournalist.

Police arrested him on charge of harassing photojournalist Allison Joyce from his house at Arjun Das Agarwal Road in Kushtia town.

Allison Joyce is a Boston born Reuters photojournalist based in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Knowing about the arrest of Bishu Saha, Allison Joyce expressed her satisfaction over the action taken by the Bangladesh Police over phone.

Kushtia Model Police Station officer-in-charge Shahabuddin Chowdhury said police arrested ‘Kheya Hotel’ owner Biswanath Saha Bishu for harassing Allison Joyce. Preparations are going on to produce him before a court here to take him on remand for questioning.

The OC said Allison Joyce made a written complaint to Kushtia’s deputy commissioner and police super on March 12. On the same day she also lodged a general diary with Kushtia Sadar Model Police Station.

On the basis of the written complaint and general diary, police pleaded to a the judge court in Kushtia seeking permission for investigating the matter. Executive magistrate Mesbah gave permission to investigate the matter.

Police later arrested Bishu from his house in the early afternoon conducting raids on several times.

It is learnt that American photojournalist Allison Joyce was staying at ‘Kheya Residential Hotel’ in Kushtia town at night on March 6 last. Drunken Biswanath Saha Bishu made several phone calls on her mobile to enter her room at about 1 o’clock.

As Allison refrained from responding to his phone calls. At one stage, angry Bishu went outside her room and started knocking the door. He also tried to open the door with an alternative key kept at the hotel. During the incident, Allison was staying alone inside her room. She became panic-stricken due to the constant knocking on the door of her room.

Finding no other alternative, the American photojournalist phoned her Bangladesh collegue journalist Ali Ehsan over mobile phone. Knowing about it, Ali Ehsan rushed to the hotel and rescued Allison with the help of several others.