Dhaka, Feb 26: Two died in a gas burner explosion that went up in flames at a house in the city’s Uttara.
Five of a family, including three children, sustained were severe burn injuries on Friday early morning.
Shalil bin Shahnewaz, 15, and his younger brother Zaran, aged 14 months, succumbed to their injuries at the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH). Shalil received 88 percent burns while Zaran 74 percent.
Shalil Bin Newaz, 15, a student of class X of Uttara Rajuk school.
The injured were identified as the householder Shahnewaz, 50, an employee of American Embassy, his wife Sumaiya, 40, their three sons – Shalin, 15, Zarf, 11, and 14-month-old Zaran – were rushed to the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
Quoting victims’ relative, DMCh police camp in-charge Mozammel Haque said fire broke out at the kitchen on the sixth floor around 6:45 am leaving all the family members burn.
Condition of Shahnewaz, Sumaiya, Shalil and Zaran are very critical as most of their bodies burnt in the fire, he added.