Bogra Shia mosque attack suspect died in ‘gunfight’

503

Bogra, June 8: A suspect of last year’s attack in Bogra Shia mosque was killed in `gunfight` with police at Atmul area of the district`s Shibganj upazila early on Wednesday.

The deceased was identified as Md Kausar, 25, was an operative of the banned outfit Jama’at ul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB), police claimed.

Bogra Senior Assistant Superintendent of Police (SP) Gaziur Rahman said, “on tipped off, a team of police conducted a drive at Atmul where several JMB men gathered for a meeting. Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, JMB men hurled two crude bombs at police members. In retaliation, policemen also fired at them, leaving Kawsar injured.”

“Later, he was taken to Bogra Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College and Hospital where attending doctors declared him dead. However, other JMB men managed to flee the scene,” he added.

The shooting began around 3am on Wednesday in the northern district’s Shibganj Upazila during a raid, Gaziur Rahman said.

Wednesday’s incident has come after three other suspected JMB militants died in two separate shootouts in Dhaka and Rajshahi the previous day.

A senior police officer told the media in Dhaka that Sultan Mahmud alias Kamal, who was among the dead on Tuesday, had taken part in the 2015 Shia mosque attack in Bogra.

Police said JMB operative Kausar, who died on Wednesday, had also taken part in the attack last November that left one dead and three others injured.

Kausar was found lying with gunshot wounds and taken to a hospital, where doctors declared him dead, he said.

A firearm, crude bombs and sharp weapons have been seized from the spot, said police.

On November 26, 2015, gunmen had opened fire on a Shia mosque during the prayers and fled. The attack left the mosque’s muezzin dead and two local residents injured.