7-month-old child dies in Mirpur gas leakage fire

321

Dhaka, Apr 25: A seven-month-old child died in a fire at city’s Mirpur early Wednesday.The victim and his parents were admitted to burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital with severe burns after a fire that broke out at their Dhaka’s Mirpur home around 11:45pm on Tuesday, a Fire Service official said.

The child has been identified as Tamim, son of Manik Mian, 35 and Mina Akhter, 22.

Manik is the caretaker of the ill-fated building and lived on the ground floor with his family.

The fire burned 95 percent of Manik’s body and 80 percent of Mina, Sub-Inspector Md Bachchu Mian at the DMCH police outpost said citing doctors.

Abdullah Al Arefin, a senior officer at Mirpur Fire Service Station, said the fire originated from a leak in the gas pipeline that went along the building.

“The fire started on the ground floor of the five-storey building after someone lit a cigarette.”