Moulvibazar, Jan 28: Five members of a family were killed as a fire broke out at a two-storey building on Saifur Rahman road in Moulvibazar on Tuesday morning.The fire originated from “Pinky Shoe Store” on the ground floor of the building around 10:15am.
The deceased were identified as the store owner Subhash Roy, 65, his daughter Priya Roy, 19, brother’s wife Dipti Roy, 48, brother-in-law’s wife Dipa Roy, 35 and Dipa’s daughter Boishakhi Roy, 3.
Members of police and fire service recovered the bodies and sent those to a local hospital morgue.
Alamgir Hossen, officer-in-charge of Moulvibazar Model Police Station, confirmed the death to media.
Moulvibazar Superintendent of Police Faruk Ahmed said it is believed that the fire originated from electric short circuit.
Moulvibazar fire service Deputy Director Mohammad Harun Pasha said a probe committee will be formed over the matter.